Kid’s Activities in Winston-Salem
Looking for what to do with your kids when it rains, what to do with your kids in the summer, or just what to do with your kids, then check out this helpful guide! for what to do with your kids in Winston-Salem for every scenario. For a list of weekly events, be sure to subscribe to our Wednesday evening newsletter!
Updated June 2022
Explore the outdoors with your kids in Winston-Salem where they can learn something new or just be kids. The following activities let YOU off the hook so others (or animals) can do the entertaining for you.
- Spend the day at the North Carolina Zoo in Asheboro (just an hour away).
- Go on an adventure with Triad Eco Adventures. Choose from e-bike tours, paddleboard lessons, segway tours, and more.
- Sign your kid up for tennis lessons at Joe White Tennis Center.
- Spend a few hours at a local park. Check out this helpful guide.
- Have a ‘budding’ gardener in your family? How about spending a few hours at a local garden. Some venues, like Reynolda and Ciener, have programs such as read-aloud hours or short informational sessions in their gardens.
- Visit our local alpaca farm
- Check out Gateway Nature Preserve events for your nature-loving kids.
- Volunteer at Fairytale Farm Animal Sanctuary or Red Feather Sanctuary
- Meet the animals at Alpha and Omega and Red Hound Farm
Indoor Trampoline Parks are a great escape from the rain or a hot summer day. Your kids can explore a variety of attractions from foam pits and dodgeball to basic trampolines. Here are some trampoline parks in Winston-Salem.
Yes, you can always watch a movie at home, but there is something special about going out to a theater and there are both indoor and outdoor options. Winston-Salem is also home to a specialty theater that shows unique films. If you are looking for a movie that won’t break the bank, check your local library – many host movie nights in Winston-Salem specifically for your kids.
‘Summer Brain’ is a real thing so it’s crucial to continue to engage your kid’s mind. Some of the best learning happens outside the classroom. Keep them thinking by visiting these Winston-Salem businesses:
- Camps and youth classes at Little Theatre of Winston Salem
- Head to Kaleideum for the day
- Classes at Sawtooth
- Bookmarks programming and storytimes
- Canvas Cake Cooking + Decorating Classes
- Family First Workshops at Reynolda – Workshops are scheduled from 2-4 PM on the first Sunday of every month
- Second Saturday at SECCA
Cheer on our local sports teams- don’t forget to buy your children a finger foam or a T-shirt.
- Wake Forest Sports Schedule
- Winston-Salem State Schedule
- Winston-Salem Dash Schedule
- Carolina Thunderbirds Schedule
Some activities in Winston-Salem are only offered in certain seasons because of the weather. Whether it’s cold and dreary out, or a beautiful summer night, you can find something to do with your kid with the options below.
- Ice Skating at the Winston-Salem Fairgrounds (November-April)
- Innovation Quarters Summer + Fall outdoor movie series Innovation and Cinema – May-October
- Try Soft Golf (user-friendly golf for everyone) located at Tanglewood during the Spring and Simmer
- Outdoor movies and concerts in Lewisville (summer)
- Outdoor movies and concerts at Ciener Botanical Gardens (summer)
- If your kid loves adventure, take them to Miracle Heights Adventures at Crossnore for a ropes course (summer)
- Head to the Cobblestone Market on Wednesdays during the summer for their Seedlings program for kids 4-6 PM
For a list of weekly child-friendly events, be sure to subscribe to our newsletter!