Your Guide to Kernersville, NC (What to Do, Where to Eat, Where to Drink)
Kernersville is conveniently located near highways and surrounded by the cities of Winston-Salem (15-minute drive), Greensboro (22-minute drive), and High Point (24-minute drive). This makes it an ideal town to live in since you can enjoy a small-town environment while being close to three cities. Kernersville is full of charming stores, delicious cuisine, and a variety of parks!
Updated October 2023
What to Do in Kernersville
- Take a tour of Körner’s Folly: Explore the 22-room historic house museum! Körners Folly (413 S Main St) was the home of Jule Gilmer Körner – an artist and designer. Take a self-guided or private tour of the historic house. Advanced registration is encouraged before visiting the house for your self-guided tour. Seasonal events include vendor markets on the lawn in the Spring and Fall and Spectacular Holidays during the Winter.
- Walk around Ciener Botanical Garden: The Outdoor Garden Displays are open daily from dawn to dusk, 365 days a year. There is no charge, but there is a suggested donation amount of $4. Explore the gardens on your own or take a guided tour. Be sure to check out the gift shop and upcoming events such as plant sales and workshops. Seasonal events include Spectacular Holiday Blooms, Wreath Workshops, the Movies on the Lawn Series, and the Lawn Concert Series.
- Enjoy local parks:
- Old Kernersville Lake Park: Great for fishing and picnics
- Harmon Park: Playground, gazebo, fountains, tables
- Fourth of July Park: Playground, walking trails, 4 tennis courts, picnic tables, basketball court, and skate park
- Triad Park: Large park with volleyball courts, multiple playgrounds, a disc golf course, walking trails, many picnic shelters, and the Field of Honor
- Old Kernersville Lake Park: Great for fishing and picnics
Restaurants in Kernersville:
- The Prescott: Presentation and local ingredients are of high importance at The Prescott! Their European-style cuisine looks like art on a plate. This is a great go-to spot for fine dining or a business meeting.
- Fitz on Main: Grab a classic breakfast or lunch at this diner-style restaurant. No frills and no fuss.
- Prissy Polly’s BBQ: Be sure to stop by Prissy Polly’s if you love BBQ, sweet tea, and all the country sides. It’s the perfect place to take the family. Be sure to save room for dessert!
- Olympic Family: Olympic Family is a casual, Greek-owned restaurant serving breakfast, lunch, and dinner. This is a winner if you have a large party with varied food preferences.
- Smitty’s Grille: Grab a seat at the bar and enjoy an indulgent seafood experience. Smitty’s features expansive seafood combos that have everything from crab legs, clams, scallops, shrimp, and oysters. Give the Tug Boat a try!
- Giada’s Trattoria: Enjoy Italian classics, including chicken marsala, thin-crust pizzas, and lasagna. Giada’s has plenty of seating inside and outside on their spacious patio.
- OutWest Steakhouse: OutWest is Kernersville’s local steakhouse, perfect for a nice lunch or dinner. Although some dishes can be a little pricey, you are paying for top-notch food and an enticing atmosphere. Fireplaces are both inside and outside.
- J. Pepper’s Southern Grille: Not quite upscale, but a step up from casual, J. Pepper’s serves classic southern dishes. During the warmer months, sit outside on their patio with string lights and a fireplace.
- Doss’ Old Fashion Ice Cream: Old school burgers, hotdogs, and hand-dipped ice cream. Doss’ is a one-of-a-kind, family-owned restaurant. Order the foot-long hot dog “All the Way.”
- Palenque Mexican Grill: A casual Mexican restaurant with daily specials. Palenque has been a staple Mexican spot in Kernersville for years. This is the perfect place for large groups.
- Tacos Casa Miguel: Small Mexican restaurant serving authentic dishes. Enjoy great food for great prices… for example, 3 tacos for $7.50!
Bakeries & Treats in Kernersville:
- Patriot Pretzel Company: Fresh, made-to-order pretzels. Choose from flavors like powdered sugar and cinnamon swirl. Kids can enjoy a play area with toys and books!
- Cake and All Things Yummy: Popular bakeshop crafting custom cakes, cupcakes, and other sweet treats in a cozy space with outdoor seating. Grab a quick treat, order a custom cake, or just admire the beautiful creations.
Coffee shops in Kernersville:
- Kyle’s Coffee: Kyle’s Coffee roasts its own beans and knows coffee inside and out! Enjoy a coffee with friends while your kids play in the play zone. The coffee shop has plenty of seating options.
- Local Roots Coffee: Large coffee shop perfect for a coffee date, studying, or working, with plenty of seating inside and outside. Shop from local vendors who display their goods and art inside the shop!
Bars/Breweries in Kernersville:
- Breathe Cocktail Lounge: Sophisticated cocktail bar with small bites, live music, and a separate whiskey bar. Grab a drink from its extensive cocktail list and enjoy its comfortable seating area. Enjoy karaoke nights, dance parties every Saturday night, and live music from local bands throughout the week.
- Folly’s – Draft & Snack: A relaxed and casual bar with snacks, board games, TVs, foosball, and arcade games. It also has live music occasionally.
- Kernersville Brewing Company: Kernersville Brewing may be a small brewery but it has everything that a large brewery offers: trivia nights, food trucks, and pop-up art classes. It has plenty of inside seating, but no outdoor seating. Music Bingo every Tuesday, Run/Walk club every Wednesday, and Trivia every Thursday.
- Gypsy Road Brewing: A large brewery with plenty of seating inside and outside. There is always something happening at Gypsy Road from live music to pop-up workout classes to local food trucks. Most concerts are free, but some do have a cover charge. Music Bingo every Thursday at 7 PM.
- The Brewer’s Kettle: The Brewer’s Kettle in Kernersville has a ton of beer and wine choices and very knowledgeable bartenders! The inside is uniquely decorated with eclectic artwork and knick-knacks. They have a great outdoor area as well with room for bands.
Where to Shop in Kernersville
- The Street Boutique: Trendy upscale boutique for kids and women’s clothing, shoes, and accessories
- WHOA!TONE Records: Local record store
- 119 On North Boutique: Women’s clothing boutique and gift shop
- Oh Baby by 119: Baby and kid boutique
- MisMatch: Stylish spot for women’s clothing and accessories
- Eclection: An eclectic array of artisans and vintage collectors, jewelry, apparel, art, and furniture
- Accent Prone: Lifestyle boutique specializing in home fashion accents and clothing
- Jane Made and Found: Offers a variety of repurposed items, handmade objects and jewelry, vintage decor, and home goods
Seasonal Events in Kernersville
- Kernersville Farmers Market (May-October): Open on Wednesdays and Saturdays from 8 AM – 12 PM
- Christmas at Korners Folly (Christmas time): Every year Körner’s Folly transforms into a winter wonderland with traditional Victorian decorations in every room. It is truly a sight to see! Explore the holiday-decorated rooms during regular self-guided tour hours. For the full experience, book a candlelight tour of the house. Spots sell out quickly, so head to the website right after Thanksgiving to book your spot.
- Ice Skating at Kernersville Museum (Winter): Enjoy ice skating in a small rink on synthetic ice at the museum during the winter. Cost is $5 for 30 minutes of skate time and includes your skate rental.
- Concerts and movies at Ciener Botanical Garden (Summer): Enjoy concerts and movies on the lawn at Ciener Botanical Garden during the summer!
- Spectacular Holiday Blooms at Ciener Botanical Garden (Winter): Enjoy a stroll through dazzling lit wisteria throughout the garden and marvel at the illuminated trees along the Event Lawn. While walking through the garden you will hear local churches, theater groups, school choirs, and community choirs caroling.
- Dewberry Farm: This private residence is only open to the public twice a year. Enjoy u-pick tulips in the Spring and sunflowers in the Summer!